Monday, November 5, 2012

My Boys Favorite Chili

This is one of my husband and son's favorite things I cook.  If I tell them I'm cooking chili for dinner they will cancel or change whatever plans they have to be home for dinner.  A woman couldn't ask for more!  What mom and wife doesn't love feeding her family well and knowing that they really and truly appreciate it?  As usual, this recipe is fairly simple.  I've learned over the years how to make tasty meals in an hour or less with readily available ingredients.  As any working mom knows, it's not always easy to get in from work and put together a quick and savory meal in a timely fashion.  So I do my best to bring you dishes that will please your family and get you in and out of the kitchen quickly. 

This recipe incorporates on of my favorite chili seasoning mixes and lots of canned ingredients that give the chili a simmered for hours kind of flavor.  It's also something that could be thrown in the crock pot and kept warm if you are having a football party or other gathering where people will be arriving and eating at different times. Here's a picture of the chili mix I use:

It comes with all of these pre-measured seasoning packets.

Recipe:
2 lbs. Ground Beef
1 large onion chopped - reserve about 1/4 of it for garnish
28 oz can of Diced Tomatoes
29 oz can Tomato Sauce
1 15 oz can Chili Beans (I used Bush's brand this time but sometimes I use Ranch Style brand)
Garnishes:
Grated Cheese
Onions
Corn Chips
Sour Cream
Whatever you like on your chili!!

Directions:
Brown beef and onions together until meat is cooked and onions are wilted.  Drain off any excess liquid and fat.  Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.  Serve with your favorite garnishes.  This will serve between 8 and 12 people, just depends on how hungry everyone is! 

Pretty simple and quick!!!  Now for the best part, the pictures!

Chili simmering
Garnishes
The finished product!
Deliciousness in a bowl!!

This recipe would also be very easy to convert to a vegiterian version.  Just substitute the meat for more beans and throw in some squash and zucchini and voila, a veggie lovers dream!





No comments:

Post a Comment